Sunday, December 27, 2009

Oregon - Mid-Willamette Valley - July 18, 2008


Meeting up at the Scio Market

After years without having a motorcycle, I decided in the summer of 2008 to get back into the sport. Not knowing exactly what model to buy, I wanted to go on some long test rides to help me make a decision.
I found the Harley Davidson dealer in Albany, Oregon rents bikes so I rented a Nightster for the weekend.

On a cold and foggy morning in July (Hey - it's the Northwest what do you expect?), I gathered a group of ten friends and went on a ride around the Willamette Valley in Western Oregon.

We met up at the market in Scio, Oregon and
Dave Van Essen lead us on back roads from Scio to Foster Lake. At this point Dan P. and Dan B. broke off as they weren't dressed for the cold weather we were having. Had they stayed with us for just 30 more miles they would have been fine.

Just south of Sweet Home, Oregon the sun finally came out and we had outstanding weather (mid-70's) the remainder of the day. We stayed on back roads and rolled into Springfield, Oregon about 1 pm where we had lunch. From there we rode east to Dexter Reservoir then southwest to Lorane, Oregon. Next we headed north and went around the west side of Fern Ridge Reservoir and up to Alb
any, Oregon where I returned my rental motorcycle. The group dispersed at the Harley dealer to make their way back to their home towns.

The Nightster is a very good looking motorcycle with more power than should be allowed on such a small motorcycle. ;-) What I didn't like about the Nightster was the gearing in the transmission and the low saddle height. First gear was so tall it required constant feathering of the clutch when riding in town and when at cruising speed (55-60 mph), I was between gears (4th & 5th). As for the saddle height, being over 6 feet tall I found my knees were to high and my butt too low for my comfort.

Kevin on a rented Harley Davidson Nightster

Patrick's - Honda Shadow ACE

Greg's Kawasaki Vulcan Custom

Dan B's Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Dan P's Kawasaki Ninja

Jim's Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Dave A's Harley Davidson Sportster

Larry's Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Dave VE's classic Triumph Bonneville

Russ's Honda Magna

Lunch break in Springfield, Oregon

Refueling at Veneta, Oregon

Check out the gas prices - $4.27 per gallon for regular unleaded.

The entire trip was about 225 miles.

Here is a map to the route we took:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment