Sunday, December 27, 2009

Central Oregon - June 6, 2009


My family was planning a trip to Central Oregon later in the summer and we planned on renting a house on the Deschutes river near La Pine, Oregon. Before committing to the house I wanted to see it in person so what a great excuse for a motorcycle ride.

Since this ride would be over 350 miles I knew I won't be able to pull it off if we had a group of more than two or three bikes.
I asked Russ and Patrick if the wanted to join me, which they gladly accepted.

I had breakfast ready by 7:15 am when Russ and Patrick arrived at our house in Stayton, Oregon and we were on the road by 8 am.

As we rode over the Santiam Pass on Hwy 22, we encountered a few light rain showers but by the time we reached Sisters, Oregon it was nothing but pure sunshine. We rode straight to the rental house to check it out. It was everything I expected and more.

View of the Deschutes River from the bank at the rental house

We then rode on Century Drive and Cascade Lakes Hwy around Mt. Bachelor. Along the way we pasted beautiful lakes and streams. As we got closer to Mt. Bachelor there was snow plied up along both sides of the road but the road surface was dry and gravel free. I don't know why I didn't stop to take pictures - NEXT TIME!!

We entered Bend, Oregon from the southwest side of town and stumbled along a great BBQ joint - Baldy's. After a filling meal we began our trip home. We followed Hwy 20 to Sweet Home, Oregon and then back roads until we reach Jefferson, Oregon where Patrick and Russ split off to head home.

This was great trip but we decided next time we needed to stay at least the night in Central Oregon so we could spend more time riding the roads in the area.
Russ's photo of me as I set up the tripod for a group shot

Photo op off Hwy 20 between Sisters and Bend, Oregon
(l-r); Kevin, Russ and Patrick

Russ and Patrick with the Three Sister Mountains in the background

Rest stop near Shuttle Lake off Hwy 20

This trip was about 350 miles.

This is a map of our route:


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment