Friday, February 24, 2012

Idanha, Oregon 97350

I had the day off work and lucked out as the roads were dry and the skies were sunny so I was able to take the motorcycle to visit the Idanha Post Office. I left Stayton about 9:45 AM and it was cold (37 degrees). With the right riding gear and heated hand grips I was comfortable as I rode.

The Idanha Post Office was a busy place with a regular stream of people coming in and out when I arrived about 10:45 AM. I met Steve in the parking lot and we had a nice conversation.


Steve is retired Navy, school teacher and VW (air-cooled models) repair shop owner. He's lived in Idanha for about 4 years and is on the city counsel. He was on his way to Salem but invited me to stop by next time I was in town to see the 1963 VW Bug he recently purchased.

Inside I met the Postmaster, Teresa. She has been at Idanha for 14 years. Her husband was working at the last remaining lumber mill but it is now closed. She explained Idanha Post Office Boxes are free for residents of Idanha since the USPS doesn't provide door to door delivery in town. That explained why so many people where coming in and out.

The town has about 139 residents and the Post Office really is the hub for the town. I am finding these small town Post Offices are so much more than just a place to get your mail.

After getting my postcand hand canceled, a local getting her mail took a photo of Teresa and me.



Idanha Bulletin Board


I then headed to Detroit, Oregon for couple photos and then to the State Park boat launch for more photos. I've always liked Detroit Lake during the winter as the water level is low. You can still see foundations from buildings at the original townsites location, which was moved to higher ground when the Detroit Dam was built and the reservoir filled. All the old tree stumps are also visible.





Detroit Bulletin Board







Heading west on Hwy 22 my next stop was Gates, Oregon. The Post Office window was closed so snapped a couple photos. I was impressed to see they had the old PO Boxes that use a letter combination. I haven't seen these in years.





Gates Bulletin Board


I got off Hwy 22 and followed back roads to Mill City. I found the Post Office and took a couple shots before continuing on to Lyons. Between Mill City and Lyons there are two working lumber mills: Frank Lumber Company and Freres Lumber Company. Forty years ago lumber mills like these were in almost every town in Oregon. Nowadays they are few and far between.



Mill City Bulletin Board


I was going to get lunch in Lyons but the sunshine I'd been enjoying was gone and the wind had started to pick up. I knew a storm was expected that afternoon so I decided to beeline back to Stayton.

My route today:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment