Saturday, February 4, 2012

2nd Post Office Visit - Cascadia, OR 97329

It's not very often we have sunny skies and temperatures in the low 50's in early February here in the Northwest. With dry weather I had to get the motorcycle out on the road.

Checking my Post Office list, the Cascadia Post Office looked like it would be a good ride today. I've been by this Post Office many times before but I'd never stopped.

I added heated grips to my motorcycle last month and this was my first ride with them installed. It was 48 degrees when I left home but my hands were nice and warm. It sure felt good to be back in the saddle after a three month layoff due to the wet weather. I had to pay close attention because when I got outside of Stayton, and I was still on a county road, I looked down and saw I was cruising at 85 mph. It sure was a smooth ride. ;-)

I passed two large (10 plus) groups of motorcycles heading the other way as I road towards Scio, Oregon. I went through downtown Lebanon, Oregon and Sweet Home, Oregon and by Foster Reservoir on my way to Cascadia.

When I arrived at Cascadia this is what I found:












Since my goal was to visit a Post Office on today's ride, I stopped by the small town of Foster, Oregon to take a photo in front of their Post Office.


When I got home I Googled Cascadia fire and learned the Cascadia Post Office burned down on November 19, 2011.


I did find a memento from today's ride - the door to PO Box


My quest to visit the Oregon Post Offices on the 2012 closure list has gotten off to an interesting start. The first two have been adventures. I wonder what the remainder will bring?

Today's route was about 100 miles long and it was a rare (sunny) February day.

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment