Monday, January 2, 2012

Central & Southeast Oregon June 13-19, 2011

My son-in-law (Cole), Cole's dad (Dave) and I spent June 13 to June 17, 2011 riding our motorcycles on the back roads around Central and Southeastern Oregon. On June 18 & 19, 2011 I rode alone as I worked my way back to Stayton from Klamath Falls.

Dave and I live in the Willamette Valley and Cole lives in Klamath Falls. We met up in Bend to begin our trip. We had our motorcycles loaded with our camping gear as we'd be camping each night. After a very wet May and early June, the only rain we had was the first 2 hours (June 13th) and the last 2 hours (June 19th) both which were in the Willamette Valley.

We had a great trip and we covered about 1,100 miles over the five days.


June 13, 2011Dave and I take a break after crossing over the pass on Hwy 20. It had been raining on us for the past 90 minutes so it was nice to get over the pass where the rain stopped.

Smith Rock State Park

With college roommate Paul who works for Oregon State Parks at Smith Rock

Camping along the Crooked River below Bowman Dam & upstream from Prineville, Oregon

Hiking to Chimney Rock above the Crooked River

Chimney Rock - Cole had to call Ashley (wife) to tell her where he was. Surprised he was able to get phone service out here

Day 1 Route - June 13, 2011:


View Larger Map

June 14, 2011John Day Fossil Beds - Painted Hills Unit (l-r) Dave, Cole, Kevin


John Day Fossil Beds - Painted Hills Unit

John Day Fossil Beds - Painted Hills Unit

John Day Fossil Beds - Painted Hills Unit

We had a great fried chicken dinner and pie for desert at the Service Creek Stage Stop along the John Day River

Camping at the Morrow/Grant County OHV Park south of Heppner, Oregon

Camping at the Morrow/Grant County OHV Park south of Heppner, Oregon

June 14, 2011

Day 2 Route - June 14, 2011:


View Larger Map

June 15, 2011
Junction of Hwy 26 & Hwy 19. We were heading north on Hwy 19 towards Kimberly, Oregon then over to Long Creek for breakfast before heading south on Hwy 395 to Fox and John Day, Oregon.

In Canyon City, outside John Day, we looked around The Oxbow Trade Company which builds horse drawn vehicles. Then we traveled on Hwy 395 to Burns where we had dinner.


Camping at Crystal Crane Hot Springs outside Burns, Oregon

Crystal Crane Hot Springs felt good after a long days ride. This photo reminds me of the movie "Wild Hogs".

Day 3 Route - June 15, 2011:


View Larger Map

June 16, 2011Leaving Crystal Crane Hot Springs on Thursday morning

After a month of rain many of the fields in Southeast Oregon were covered in water.

Fuel stop at Frenchglen, Oregon

We stopped at the Frenchglen Hotel for a cup of homemade chicken soup and cornbread

Near Fields, Oregon

Camping at the Lake County Fairgrounds in Lakeview, Oregon

Day 4 Route - June 16, 2011 :


View Larger Map

June 17, 2011
Hwy 31 outside Silver Lake, Oregon. From here Dave headed north back to Lebanon while Cole and I headed south to Klamath Falls


View of Upper Klamath Lake from a hilltop off Hwy 97 north of Klamath Falls, Oregon


View of Upper Klamath Lake from a hilltop off Hwy 97 north of Klamath Falls, Oregon

Day 5 Route - June 17, 2011:


View Larger Map

June 18, 2011 - I left Cole at Klamath Falls and followed Hwy 66 to Ashland. This is an outstanding road for motorcycles so if you find yourself near Ashland or Klamath Falls I highly recommend Hwy 66. I then took Hwy 99 from Ashland to Medford where I spent the night with my daughter, son-in-law and grand children.

Day 6 Route - June 18, 2011:


View Larger Map

June 19, 2011 - I planned to take Hwy 62 & Hwy 230 up to Diamond Lake and then Hwy 138 west to Roseburg and I-5. I rolled into Shady Cove it started to rain and was getting cool so I thought it might be better to keep at a lower elevation. Just outside of Shady Cove I turned off on Hwy 227 towards Tiller and Canyonville. I discovered a wonderful road that wandered through the county side. I took a snack break at the city park in Canyonville before jumping on I-5. A steady rain started as I neared Cottage Groove and continued until I reached Stayton.

Day 7 Route - June 19, 2011:


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment